So I meant to finish my recap of our Moab trip earlier, but I found that there were other things that needed my attention. But now I'm ready so here goes.
After we finished the river trip we went back to our apartment to change before heading back out to Canyonlands. We showered and started the long drive back to Canyonlands. There were a few dark clouds in the area, but no lightning and very little rain, so we were very excited to get the hike going. We pulled to the trail head and walked to the entrance and a Ranger stopped us and said that there was lightning in the area and we were not going to be allowed on the hike.
So there we were after driving to that spot for a second time, and still we couldn't go. So we loaded up and drove to some other areas of the park. We took a couple of short hikes and kept watching the clouds. After a couple of hours we decided it looked clear enough to try again, so we drove back.
The first thing we noticed was that the Ranger was gone. So we quickly started out. It was a beautiful hike and ended on a cliff that jutted out into a canyon. It was like being on a peninsula in the sky. On three sides we were able to look down into the canyon. It was AWESOME! Here's a short video of the view!
One of the things I found most amazing at the park was how few people were there. If you go visit Zion National Park, which is really close to us, it is crowded and can be difficult to fully enjoy. While on that final hike we saw a total of maybe 5 people. Although I've never seen a Pirate in Zion. There was guy on the hike who had to of been from another country, he had a bandanna on his head, big hoop earrings, big saggy pants and a pirate goatee. 
Amy didn't like that I said he looked like a pirate, but he really did, how many pirates do you see in the desert. Amy was more interested in the pirates girlfriend, she was wearing regular sandals. We think they were from Europe because almost everyone visiting the area was from Europe. It was funny to see how many of them were out walking in normal sandals. I guess proper foot wear just isn't as important over there.
By the time we got back from the park it was bedtime and we loaded up the next morning and made the long drive home. Overall it was a great trip and I'm looking forward to going back next summer and trying a longer rougher rafting trip.
Here's a slideshow of some photos we took. In some you can see how wet the canyon was the first day we were there. On the 1st pic we were really standing straight, but I had a hard time getting the camera to sit flat, so it looks like we're leaning. Hope you enjoy them.



0 comments:
Post a Comment